Despite the warm Spring weather and picture-perfect turquoise blue waters, sadly, our little piece of paradise is not immune to the worldwide spread of the CoronaVirus COVID-19.
In recent days, local leaders have taken the bold but sensible precaution of closing our beaches, restaurants and amenities while tourists are being dissuaded from visiting until further notice.
Currently, national, state and local authorities are advising three behaviors everyone must adopt:
1. Self Isolation – stay indoors and away from other people.
2. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, often.
3. Maintain social distancing of 6 feet if you do need to leave home.
Around the world, health experts, researchers, pharmaceutical companies and medical professionals are working with governments to tackle this aggressive virus. We are all eternally grateful to the first responders, medical professionals and health workers who are keeping us safe during the crisis.
While we are far from out of danger yet, they are making some remarkable progress and we should be encouraged by their efforts.
Some examples of their success you may not have seen include:
• In Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus, China has closed its temporary hospitals as numbers of new cases reported end (NYPOST)
• A 103-year old woman identified with the virus has recovered, the oldest known survivor. (MSN.com)
• Canadian scientists have isolated copies of the virus paving the way for a potential vaccine (CTVNews)
• A San Diego-based bio-tech company is working on production of a vaccine (CBS News)
• Japanese drugmaker Takeda Pharma is developing a Coronavirus drug derived from blood plasma of people recovered from COVID-19 (STAT/BostonGlobe)
• Online retailer Amazon in talks with UK Govt to deliver COVID-19 testing kits (BusinessInsider)
• Florida Department of Elder Affairs said it would ensure over 5.5 million seniors have safe access to food